Likud: profile in moral treason
The Likud Party has been consistent in one thing only: the betrayal of its professed Zionist or nationalist principles.
Six key Likud betrayals of principle
- In 1979, Menachem Begin yielded the Sinai and evacuated Yamit.
- Then Yitzhak Shamir’s “peace plan” led to the recognition of the PLO at Madrid.
- Benjamin Netanyahu, in his first term, withdrew from Hebron. He then prepared the ground for a Palestinian state at the Wye River Plantation.
- Then came Ariel Sharon, who adopted Labor’s policy of “unilateral disengagement” from Gaza.
- Next came Ehud Olmert, the Likud’s Kadima Party offspring. He said he would abandon Judea and Samaria.
- And once again, Netanyahu, on June 14, 2009, and without Knesset or public debate, endorsed a Palestinian State in the “West Bank,“ meaning Judea and Samaria, the heartland of the Jewish people.
As attorney Howard Grief (z”l) had documented well, moral treason has become a way of life in Israel. Meanwhile, her college-educated elites are timidly silent. What then can one expect of academically correct politicians?
Netanyahu, Judea and Samaria
The Likud Party has never possessed the courage to rule in accordance with its original constitutional Zionist principles. No wonder people call it “the right wing of the Labor Party.” Netanyahu made this crystal clear on June 14, 2009. That’s when he endorsed the creation of a Palestinian state in the “West Bank.” The “West Bank” is Judea and Samaria, the heartland of the Jewish people.
Netanyahu has long misled the public about the character of the Likud. This he could do by reason of Israel’s system of multi-party cabinet government. This grotesque system has let the Likud pose as a right-wing party. In reality, it’s a left-leaning party that has lured right-wingers to its cause. And that cause is nothing less than the burial of true Zionism.
Netanyahu genuflects to the pernicious falsehood of former Supreme Court President Aharon Barak. This worthy would have us believe there is no contradiction between “one adult/one vote” democracy and Judaism. This idea ignores the logical consequence of Muslims becoming a majority of the electorate. What would happen to Barak’s falsehood should that happen?
Does any well-informed person need to be shown that Judge Barak was the foremost enemy of Zionism on the Supreme Court?
It was he who handed down the ruling that Judea, Samaria, and Gaza constitute “belligerent occupied territory.” This false ruling sanctioned the anti-Zionist policy of Likud chairman Ariel Sharon, whose government expelled the Jews from Gaza. The same perfidious ruling underpins the position of Benjamin Netanyahu, who, without Knesset or public debate, had the audacity to endorse the creation of a Muslim state in Judea and Samaria, the cradle of Jewish civilization!
Only a top-down revolution, beginning with higher education, can restore Israel’s moral compass, after her college-educated elites have distorted it. ◙